Wednesday 19 March 2014

WHW Training Continues: February-March

Things have picked up! Had a good couple of months now, with two weeks of March remaining. I've managed to get a few good long runs done. Karen working in Keswick has really helped!


Started with a run over from Keswick to Ambleside of about 23 miles. Unfortunately I had a few issues coming over Greenup Gap. First the cloud was down which cause nav problems, it was raining so I got wet and cold. I ended up getting slightly mis-placed descending and wasn't sure where I was dropping off to Grasmere. Then I slipped on wet grass and think I cracked a rib. It wasn't a major problem as it happens and hasn't been subsequently.
Next I ran a 'Tour de Skiddaw' which I hoped was about 26-28 mile. As I got into it it became clear that it was shorter than hoped. When I got back into Keswick I decided to pop into a café and get a cuppa and a cake, then continue over to Braithwaite and round Swineside to extend to 26 miles!
Third long run was again 'Tour de Skiddaw'. This time I went over the top and dropped down Birkett Edge to the Dash, then onto to Mungrisedale via Skiddaw House.
Finally, the Big One! Inspired by a run I read about on Fleetwoods Long Mountain Challenges blog, which followed the Roman road from Penrith to Kendal, I got dropped off at Ings near Staveley. The idea was to go over Ill Bell, Thornthwaite Beacon and High Street, then down to Pooley Bridge. Finally I would follow the Lakeland 100 route back to Keswick. The day was gorgeous , sunny, not to warm and blue skies (...wish I'd taken the camera!). It was 20 miles to Pooley and I felt pretty good, keeping to a good, if not spectacular, pace. Had milk, chocolate and Hola-hoops, then off again. I basically followed the reverse Lakeland 100 route via Dalemain and Dacre, as best as I could. It started to become clear it was going to be further than I'd guessed! I tired as I headed towards Dockray, and struggled around the back of Little Man. I picked up after I managed to get fresh water from a caravan site though, and my pace was still fair. Once I got on the Old Coach Road I  realised I wasn't going to get as far as Keswick due to time and the excess distance. I wasn't ready to push to 44 plus miles just yet!! I decided sense over valour and the joys of a pint at 'the Sally' in Threlkeld while Karen finished her hair appointment and came to pick me up!! Another great day out! I love this training for a big event...a goal's a wonderful thing!!


Next up is a fair bit of training for work, and a trip to France and Belgium for Paris-Roubaix Race and a look around WWI war graves and stuff! Not sure how much long stuff I'll be getting in so I need to spot every opportunity in the rest of March and on to April! Still a lot of work to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment